ADVANCED COURSE TO FRESH MEAT PROCESSING
Course starts every Monday
+/- 5 - 6 Months
R45 000.00 (Course only)
COURSES START EVERY MONDAY BOOK IN ADVANCE
Course offered in Afrikaans and English
Advanced Meat cutting course details
Butchers or Fresh meat cutters, process and cut meat in processing plants or for customers in supermarkets and butcher shops. In addition to cutting, mincing, filling, weighing and packaging meats, Butchers must also adhere to all health regulations, hygiene, sharpen knives, prepare meats for display and maintain record keeping. Butchers must use caution when working with knives and often work standing for long periods of time. You can start working for yourself, as well as full-time opportunities working indoors at various companies, supermarkets and the old time Butcher shops when enrolling for our course.
Before working as a Butcher, Employers want Applicants to have experience. This course was designed for you to gain experience in a job as a meat cutter while also doing the theory requested by the unit standards. Meat cutter students receive on-the-job training, and their work is generally supervised by Senior Butchers and Assessors.
“The Fresh Meat Processing 6 months program course gave me the broad skills needed to open my own butcher shop. I was able to make virtually any type of product needed. – Piet Brits
The Fresh Meat processing course certificate is unique in the way that it covers all an individuals needs to become a good Butcher, combined with real practical Butchery Training for 5-6 months, depending on how quickly you cover the unit standard exit levels.
Where supermarkets once dominated the industry, the old-time Butchery concept is returning. The need for trained individuals makes our teaching course with hands-on practical techniques for the highest quality cuts and products one that cannot be matched.
As a successful graduate you will gain the experience needed to start your own business or start off your career at any Butchery waiting to employ you.
There is a big shortage of Qualified Butchers in our country and all over the continent. People will always eat meat and even with new trends that hit the market, like high protein diets, the demand for meat is ever growing.
As demands grow the ever increasing need for trained individuals is also growing and we cannot keep up with the supply to these demands. Butchers have always been necessary and it will stay that way.
Training for tomorrow
The critical lack of skills in the meat industry remains a cause for grave concern in
terms of the sustainability of the sector, but there are solutions if industry players make a concerted, joint effort.
THE BUTCHER – VOL 1 no 7
The shortage of such skilled labour is seen by the government - Retail technical skills (butchery/blockman)
WRESTA.ORG.ZA 26 JUNE 2010
Industry skills shortage set to continue as workforce ages-
FOODMANUFACTURE.CO..UK – 13 FEB 2014
We train you in Safety, Hygiene, Problem solving, Fresh meat breaking and cutting, De-boning, Curing, Salting and drying, Mincing and filling and legislation.
We have an accredited training facility with registered Assessors and Moderators to equip you with knowledge for the meat industry.
The following list highlights the various criteria which you would be trained in:
- Personal safety in a food or sensitive consumer product environment.
- Apply personal safe working practices regarding the work area and equipment.
- Deal with safety emergencies.
- Safely handle and store raw materials or final products or chemicals in a food or sensitive consumer product environment.
- Curing process for fish or meat products.
- Prepare for curing of fish or meat products.
- Cure fish or meat products.
- Perform relevant procedures after fish or meat curing.
- Mincing fish or meat.
- Prepare for mincing fish or meat.
- Mince fish or meat.
- Perform relevant procedures after mincing.
- Salting and drying of fish or meat.
- Prepare to salt and dry fish or meat.
- Salt and dry fish or meat.
- Perform relevant procedures after salting and drying.
- De-boning and cutting of meat primal cuts into retail cuts.
- Prepare for the de-boning and cutting of meat primal cuts into retail cuts.
- De-bone and cut meat primal cuts into retail cuts.
- Perform relevant procedures after de-boning and cutting.
- Forming or filling of raw minced fish or meat products.
- Prepare for forming or filling of raw minced fish or meat products.
- Form or fill raw minced fish or meat products.
- Perform relevant procedures after forming or filling of raw minced fish or meat products.
- Breaking meat sides and carcasses into quarters and primal cuts.
- Prepare for breaking of meat sides and carcasses into quarters and primal cuts.
- Break meat sides and carcasses into quarters and primal cuts.
- Perform relevant procedures after breaking.
- Distinguishing between problems, challenges and matters requiring a decision.
- Investigating techniques for solving problems and making decisions.
- Identifying a problem in a real life situation.
- Applying a problem solving process or technique to propose a solution or make a decision.
SAQA BASED TRAINING MATERIAL on
Unit standard ID’s : 120416; 243010; 243018; 243020; 243028; 243029; 243032 and 244611
Butchers sell meat and poultry through individual shops, supermarkets or local markets. Specialist Butchers may also make their own meat products such as sausages, patties and Boerewors.
To become a Butcher, you should have good practical skills. You will need good communication and customer service skills. You should also have in-depth product knowledge of Meat. You would usually start as a trainee or assistant butcher and learn on the job.
Butchers have a unique expertise that is often called on by local culinary programs and media for stories. They often enter the profession to carry on the existing family business. Many grow up helping out and spending time in butcheries owned by their grandparents or parents. Shops are often passed down through generations and remain family-owned businesses. In small communities, people become familiar with the local butcher shop and the owners are an integral part of the community.
As a butcher, you can either work for an employer in a processing plant, supermarket, abbatoir or local butchery. The ideal is to start working for yourself as a local Butcher. You will make products which you take pride in and sell these together with your top quality meat cuts.
Butchers, especially those that own their own shops, take great pride in not only the products, but the service they provide. There is nothing as great as hearing a customer tell you about how great the Boerewors, sausages or Biltong was which you made. Customers will tell of the quality of the meat and products they buy from you, making them your biggest marketing tool.
To become a butcher, you should have:
- good practical skills
- a high standard of personal cleanliness
- safety and responsibility skills
- the ability to work well in a team
- good communication and customer service skills
- good visual sense for counter and window displays
- maths skills for handling payments
- You are placed in a state of the art meat cutting facility where you gain hands-on practical experience from qualified Supervisors. Not only do you learn the South-African way but also internationally recognized methods.
- Our Assessors track your practical experience making sure that you do not leave the track and learn things the wrong way.
- Throughout your training you will be attending formal classes to update you on any possible changes and also learn new tasks and various products.
- Course material is frequently moderated making sure that the quality of the material is checked and upated. Our quality control on all documention is done every 3 months.
- We guide you throughout the whole experience making double sure that you are 100% Assessment ready at the end of the day.
- We are a registered training provider with the Foodbev Seta.
- All staff, Assessors and Moderators are qualified and frequently attend training sessions themselves to stay up to date.
Click on the link to fill your application online, don’t delay, now is the time!